Friday, July 12, 2019

Mary McGee

There are few people that I have met in life that have impacted me as greatly as 82 year old Mary McGee.  I had the privilege of spending a weekend with her during the AMA Mid-Ohio Vintage Days last weekend and I have yet to stop thinking of the stories she told, the life she brought to our table, and her contagious laughter. Mary’s stories are from a different time of culture in our country and retro technology with motorcycles. Holding the record of the first individual to ever finish the Baja 1000 as a single rider, I felt remarkably inadequate as she described the mechanics of her vintage motorcycle and the small flask of electrolyte water that sustained her in unimaginable conditions on challenging terrain for 17+ hours. This was only one story of the few I heard over the weekend.  It would be a dream to live life with her for a short time and record the way she changed history for women, and the industry of moto overall.  

For those who don’t really know her story, I will post her Wikipedia and I encourage you to follow her Facebook page.  She also was inducted in the AMA Hall Of Fame last year where her bike sits as well as her achievements as a professional racer. 

Thank you for impacting my life Mary.  I do hope to cross paths with you again. 
For those reading, Mary has given me permission to create a t-shirt in her honor to be sold at cost.  I desperately want to keep Mary’s legacy alive! This would be a wonderful way for all women (and men!) in riding to support her life and story.  Please keep your eye’s open in the next few months when I post it for sale through my distributor on our Women's Off-Road Moto Public page. 

Enjoy her story and don’t forget to follow her on social media!!

No comments: